17 Materials Needed:Fabric, Cricut Maker, Embroidery Floss, Iron-On Glitter Vinyl, 12" Pillow Form, Poly-Fil, Heat n' Bond, Yarn, Sewing Machine, Fabric Scissors, Iron, Cheesecloth, Wooden Dowel, Fabric Marker, Ruler, Tape Measure, Sewing Pins
About this Project
Rest easy. Now you can create and cut intricate fabric designs in your sleep, using the Cricut Maker! Drift off with these three unicorn-themed pillow ideas for your dorm or bedroom.
Create your own, snap a picture, and share using #ACMooreInspired.
Download and print template.
SWEET DREAMS STAR PILLOW
1. Iron desired fabric. Print, trace and cut patterns from fabric.
2. Print, trace and cut iron-on vinyl using Cricut. Place the design onto the center of one star, and place cheesecloth on top. Set the iron to medium heat, and iron the design onto fabric. Let cool, then peel off cheesecloth and vinyl backing.
3. With the first star facing right-side up, place the second star on top, this time facing right-side down. Attach the two stars together with sewing pins. Sew a straight stitch onto the star, following along the traced pattern. Leave an opening on one side of a star point.
4. Carefully turn the star right-side out through the opening. Use a wooden dowel to poke out the points of each star. Fill star with Poly-Fil using a wooden dowel to extend into each star point.
5. Use a ladder stitch to sew opening. Once complete, tie a small knot and carefully tuck into fabric. Fluff pillow to evenly distribute Poly-Fil.
TIP: To create a ladder stitch, start at one end of the opening. Tie a thick knot onto the end of the embroidery floss. Insert needle inside the fabric and pull out to mask the knot. Pinch the folds of the opening together and insert the needle into the right side of the fold. Once through, insert the needle directly across the opening to the other fold. Make a small, equal stitch along the inside fold on the left side. Pull it through toward the center and bring both folds together. Repeat on both sides, continuing the stitch. At the end of the opening, tie a small knot and tuck into the fabric.
1. Iron base fabric, then cut two 13x13 squares of fabric.
2. Apply iron-on glitter to one of the chevron shapes, using the instructions above.
3. Lay out all chevron shapes on top of square pillow base. Arrange in desired pattern. Take each shape off, and place facing down. Start with the bottom chevron. Cut out Heat n Bond and place on top of fabric, shiny-side down. Press iron on top for 2-3 seconds. Let cool, then remove paper backing. Place the fabric onto the square facing up. Iron down to bond to the base. Let cool. Repeat with other chevrons, layering on top of one another.
4. With the front side of the chevron pillow facing up, place the back of the pillow on top. Attach the two squares together with sewing pins. Sew a straight stitch onto the square, following along the traced pattern. Sew on three sides of the pillow and leave the bottom open.
5. Carefully turn the pillow right-side out and use a dowel to poke out the corners of the pillow. Place the pillow form into the pillow.
6. Use a ladder stitch to sew up opening. Once complete, tie a small knot and carefully tuck into fabric. Fluff pillow.
TIP: Stitch backward for a few stitches when starting a stitch; this will reinforce the fabric and hold in place.
1. Adhere cheeks and eyes to both sides of the unicorn head and adhere the inner ear and the outer ear with Heat n Bond. Set aside.
2. Apply iron-on glitter to both sides of the unicorns horn. Place both pieces of the horn together with the backing facing out. Pin together with sewing needles. Sew a straight stitch along the traced pattern. Flip the horn inside-out and poke the top of the horn out with a dowel. Fill with Poly-Fil if desired. Stitch along bottom of horn.
3. Attach horn and one ear into the inside of one head with sewing pins; make sure the front of the ears face the front of the head. Sew a straight stitch onto the top of one head, adhering the ears and horn down. Repeat with the other head, this time sewing on the other ear. With the front side of the unicorn head facing up, place the back of the unicorn head on top, facing down. Attach the two heads together with sewing pins. Sew a straight stitch onto the pillow, following along the traced pattern. Leave the unicorn head open from the back of the ears to the bottom of the hairline.
4. Carefully turn the pillow right-side out and use a dowel to poke out the corners of the pillow. Fill the unicorn head with Poly-Fil. Sew a ladder stitch along the backside of the head to secure.
5. Cut out 60 strands of yarn, all measuring 24. Fold in half and tie a loose knot. Create a new ladder stitch onto the back of the unicorn. Come up through the fold in the fabric, and thread the needle through the knot in the yarn and pull through the second fold of the fabric. Continue ladder stitch, picking up a new yarn piece with each stitch.
6. Cut hair or braid to style.